Game Over

as i look back i can now say "what a journey"!
my year concluded it seems with the Crossfit Games in Aromas, California in early July...since i have been resting/analyzing/resting/analyzing/resting....
from september onwards i was quite convinced that i was going to only go and coach this year as i had many others interested in this amazing new sport...as my year went on from O-lifting learnings to the Helen PB to great training at OPT to injury to the Crossfit movie taping it seemed to come on quickly....
in '07 i was prepared mentally to win and had visualized it over and over before the games without mentioning it, this time the stars were not aligned..i gave my all but as i look back, it just was not there..my responsibility...new learnings, things will change
OPT had numerous athletes compete and set PB's and accomplishments in just experiencing the games and for that i am so grateful that others were able to finally experience the thrill of the weekend of 4 tough workouts...
the energy and enthusiasm displayed there for 300+ athletes giving their all was powerful indeed....
personally i was 5th place going into the Sunday event (30 reps for time of 155# full squat clean and jerk)...and ironically it was the movement that i had left last years games thinking i needed to improve upon (o-lifting speed/power)...i ended up T-11th at the end of the day, dissapointing at the time until i was able to realize that EVERY rep i did complete was as near perfect for MY capabilities as possible...there was a huge relief/breakdown/realization after 2 of my O-lifting mentors - Mike Burgener and Greg Everett were there to chat after the finals and Mike hugged/whispered to me that "all reps were perfect"...that phrase and time he took to mention that MADE my weekend....i knew i did my best, my best was not good enough but i felt good
remembering back now i actually may have caused mental confusion for myself after i told Tony B that after the run on Saturday night (the run that up until the gun went off i did not think i was going to be able to do it - thanks to Geoff Cuskelly/Ian Goodwin and Jeoff Drobot/Shaun Riddle i was able) that it feels like i can retire now, i actually said that out loud after...as the emotional roller coaster i experienced pre games with a calf injury and lack of running for 10 weeks made me question myself a number of times...very tough for me as i have never done that before (another good learning/maturity builder)...it felt as if the weekend was over after that...and as you know, it wasn't...anyhoo
a great time...i would have not been there if it was not for my wife and her support, with new child inside and Hannah at her side cheering me on all year, i am truly fortunate...
from here forward there will be more posting/learning/training/lots...stay tuned

No comments: